Thursday, March 4, 2010

Progymnasmata 6 (Comparisons)

Since I started building PC’s about two years ago plenty of things have happened that prevented me from continuing this passionate endeavor. Financial responsibilities became the foremost issue that grounded my party plane of tech-tronic purchase and assembly. The time has finally come though that I can no longer deny the fact that my, once beastly, graphics card has started slipping in its duties. The former champion, my EVGA 8800gtx, has served me well for countless sessions of slaughter. Unfortunately its life is near an end, and despite the fact that I do not want to shell out a heap of cash to replace it I must. How much will I spend? What kind will I get? Where will I get it? Do I want to plan a formal funeral for my 8800? And so begins the lengthy process of comparison. If I spend more now I will have to pay less later on because I am the type that wears my equipment down into the ground and then moves on…but if I do that I will have less money to generally live on. I guess I will have to budget. Nonetheless there are good deals to be had and since I can always sell and upgrade later so it’s no biggie. The next comparisons I will have to make will be harsh and unforgiving, as I must decide what brand of card I wish to use. Since I have always had good service out of my EVGA products I doubt I will spare my money to any other product. I look at other wonderful companies and the only one I approve of because I know from personal experience otherwise is BFG Tech. While they are a great company, my loyalty lies elsewhere so I must decide upon a thrifty, but still awesome, EVGA card. Now the decision regarding where to purchase the card from needs to me made. Since I am keen to internet parts ordering it is a given that I start there I want the most bang for my buck. I have dealt with Newegg before on numerous occasions so I stop there first. They have a few good deals, but I have also heard NCIXUS is reputable so I give them a whirl. Since it stuck out like a sore thumb I decide instantly upon a steal of a deal I happened to stumble upon, managing a 230$ card for 175$...EVGA… awesome… and clearly with my name on it (Mick’s EVGA GTX260). Bada Bing Bada Boom I have me a new graphics cards and I can begin working on arranging my 8800’s final ceremonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment